easy way to view .chm files on debian GNU/linux lenny

I am comfortable with minimal packages on my system. It's very easy to manage few packages. I have downloaded a guide and the guide is only available in .chm format. So, I was planning to install a suitable package to view the .chm file. The help manual of virtualbox is in .chm format. If I am able to view the help manual, why can't I view my downloaded .chm file ?

The above question has made me to introspect the issue and I have come up with a solution.

Follow the steps given below in order to view .chm files on lenny. I assume you are using Lenny 5.0.4, LXDE and Virtualbox 3.2 installed on your system.

Step 1 : Run Virtualbox and press Help -> contents or press F1 as shown in the image below :


Step 2 : You can view about kchmviewer on the help manual as shown in the image below :


Step 3 : Open a terminal and type the following command in order to view the path of the kchmviewer. Don't close the window of virtualbox help manual until Step 4.

$ ps aux | grep kchmviewer


Step 4 : Note down the path of the kchmviewer on a text file. The path to my kchmviewer is shown below :


/usr/lib/virtualbox/kchmviewer


Step 5 : Right click your .chm file and click "Open with" and click "open with another program".



Step 6 : Type the path of kchmviewer as determined in the Step 4 or click browse as shown in the image above.

Step 7 : Check the box of "Set selected application to default action" as shown in the image of Step 5. Click OK.

Step 8 : Click the .chm file to view.

This is how I am viewing .chm files without installing any extra packages.

The End.
 
 
Creative Commons License
This work by maniac.vardhan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
 
 

0 comments :: easy way to view .chm files on debian GNU/linux lenny

Post a Comment